History-SightseeingNo Comments

House of the Saint Doctor

This old house, which was a place of pilgrimage for thousands of people not only from Kyiv, but also from a far away lands, cannot be seen from the street. The building, people have almost been praying at, is standing in the yard of the corner house on Yaroslaviv Val, 13. It is a inconspicuous building number 15 б. A famous doctor, Yanovskiy Feofil Gavrilovich, lived here in 1903-1928, the first academician among Ukrainian doctors. He was loved by all patients and became a “saint doctor” in the history of the national medicine. Maybe soon this house will be demolished or have already been demolished…

The famous writer Mykola Gogol was a distant relative of the professor. Both were dragged to people, and each of them in their own way tried to help. The doctor, without whom it is impossible to imagine Kyiv of early XX century, was not originally from Kyiv. He came here to study, and decided to stay.

Feofil Janowski was healing thousands of ordinary citizens. He was visiting them by the first call, and then was coming uninvited, just to check the condition of the patient, to talk, to comfort, to advise.

Yanovskiy Feofil Gavrilovich

On July 8, 1928, when the famous doctor has died in Kyiv, Yaroslaviv Val was filled with people. The city was mourning. Trams stopped, in order to let the funeral ceremony pass along without any obstacles. Kyiv thieves on that day robbed nobody. They cut down all flowers on Kyiv lawns and covered with them a long way from the doctor’s house to Lukianivka cemetery. Immediately after the doctor’s death, the Kyiv Institute of Tuberculosis and Thoracic Surgery was given his name – Feofil Janowski.

The doctor treated famous Ukrainian poetess Lesya Ukrainka, playwrighter Ivan Karpenko-Karyi, leading Ukrainian actress Maria Zankovetska.

In Ukrainian:

Дім святого лікаря. Цей старенький будиночок, який був місцем паломництва тисяч людей не тільки з Києва, а й з досить віддалених від нас країв, з вулиці не видно. Будівля, на яку люди практично молилися, стоїть у дворі кутового будинку по Ярославому Валу, 13, – це непримітний будинок під № 15 б. Тут в 1903-1928 роках жив знаменитий доктор, перший академік серед українських медиків, «лікарська совість», як називали його люди, Феофіл Яновський. Можливо, незабаром цей будиночок знесуть або вже знесли…

Далеким родичем професора був знаменитий письменник Микола Гоголь. Обидва тягнулись до людей, вивчали їх, кожен по-своєму намагався допомогти. Лікар, без якого неможливо представити собі Київ початку XX століття, не був корінним киянином. Він приїхав сюди вчитися. І залишився.

Феофіл Яновський лікував тисячі простих громадян. Він відвідував їх спочатку за викликом, а потім приходив і без запрошення, тільки щоб перевірити стан хворого, поговорити, втішити, порадити.

8 липня 1928, коли самий добрий мешканець Києва помер, Ярославів Вал заполонили натовпи. Тужило все місто. Трамваї зупинилися, щоб не заважати похоронній процессії. Київські злодії в той день нікого не пограбували. Вони зрізали на газонах Києва всі квіти і всипали ними весь довгий шлях від будинку лікаря до Лук’янівського кладовища. Відразу після смерті Феофіла Яновського його ім’я було присвоєно Київському інституту туберкульозу та грудної хірургії.

У доктора Яновського лікувалися поетеса Леся Українка, драматург Іван Карпенко-Карий, провідна українська актриса Марія Заньковецька. (mykyiv.com.ua)

Cover photo by SergeUA